Section V. OPERATION UNDER USUAL CONDITIONS
a. The instructions in this section are published
for the information and guidance of personnel
(1) Open the vent as far as possible.
responsible for operation of the immersion heater.
(2) Soak the lighter in a mixture of half gasoline
b. The operator must know how to perform every
and half engine oil. Do not saturate the lighter by
operation of which the immersion heater is capable.
holding it under the fuel drip valve.
(3) Use a match to ignite the lighter.
ing and stopping the immersion heater and on coor-
(4) Swing the draft gate to one side and insert
dinating the basic motions to perform the specific
the burning lighter into the flue compartment. The
tasks for which the equipment is designed. Since
heat from the lighter causes a draft down the burn-
nearly every job presents a different problem, the
operator may have to vary a given procedure to fit
and up and out the flue compartment.
the individual job.
(5) Remove the lighter in about 2 minutes and
close the draft gate.
a. Preparation for Starting. Perform the before-