SPACE HEATER ARCTIC (SHA)
OPERATION UNDER USUAL CONDITIONS
Poorly fitted stack sections may allow hot stack to fall on shelter and start
a fire, or deadly carbon monoxide to leak into shelter. Ensure sections
seat together securely.
During operation, the SHA produces harmful carbon monoxide (CO) and
other gases. Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless, and tasteless
gas. Mild cases of carbon monoxide poisoning can cause symptoms
such as nausea, dizziness or headaches. Severe cases of carbon
monoxide poisoning can result in brain damage, heart damage or death.
Remember that although CO has no telltale odor, it may mix with other
odors which mask its presence; therefore, CO can be present within a
mix of seemingly harmless odors.
To prevent CO poisoning, ensure that the SHA exhaust stack sections fit
together snugly and that the exhaust gases are properly vented through
the roof of the shelter.
The best way to prevent CO poisoning is to keep the SHA in good
working order. Ensure that all possible sources of CO leakage have been
repaired and that the operating space is well ventilated.