Up the Heater
(5) Align the spring lock clips with the holes in
the duct band and then release the clips by turning
In choosing a site for the heater, care should be
taken to prevent fires. All safety precautions should
(6) Round out the duct by pulling each of the six
be observed closely when setting up the heater for
duct expanding cords out about 8 inches and by
operation. Place the heater so the discharge openings
hooking the cords over the cord locks.
will face the items or the areas to be heated. Allow
(7) Attach the second duct by repeating the
for reasonable slack and sag in the canvas ducts.
procedures in (1) through (6) above.
Check the heater visually to see that it is level. It
(8) Extend the 12-inch ducts for an additional
must be level so the fuel will flow evenly around the
12 feet if desirable by taking one of the remaining
ducts and placing its lined end at the free end of one
a. Attaching 12-Inch Canvas Ducts. To attach the
of the ducts already attached.
four 12-inch canvas ducts, proceed as follows:
(9) Release the duct expanding cord at the end
of the attached duct to make its end more flexible.
(10) Exert a firm squeeze pressure and fit the
lined end of the duct inside the band of the attached
Be sure to attach the asbestos-lined
duct, forcing the two duct band pins and one an-
ends of the ducts to the heater.
choring pin into the three holes in the band of the at-
(1) Unroll a 12-inch duct and place it next to the
(11) Rehook the cord that was released in (9)
discharge opening of the heater so the asbestos-lined
above and pull out and hook the six-duct expanding
end can be attached to the heater.
cords of this duct.
(2) Remove the nut, flatwasher, and lock-washer
(12) Attach the remaining 12-inch duct in the
from each of the two duct band pins in the duct band
same manner as described in (8) through (11) above.
of the lined end. Remove the two pins and store all
these removed parts in the tool pouch.
(3) Pull out the two spring lock clips (built into
the discharge opening collars) about an inch, and
It is generally not efficient to extend the 12-inch ducts
turn the clips sideways to hold them out.
further than two lengths (24 ft) even though the unit is
(4) Place duct band inside the discharge opening
designed to deliver heated air up to 36 feet. This can be
collar, fitting the duct anchoring pin into the hole at
accomplished, however, by attaching the 6-inch ducts at
the bottom of the collar.
the ends of the second set of 12-inch ducts.