c. The draft regulator is engineered to provide an efficient draft when stove pipe connections are right. This heater
operates most efficiently with .05 inch to .06 inch draft.
Do not tamper with draft regulator as it operates without adjustment.
2-5. Starting the Equipment
a. Preparation for Starting.
(1) Before lighting heater, perform necessary preventive maintenance checks and services.
(2) Examine the fuel can and all connections for any leaks. Tighten connections if leaks occur.
Never operate heater with leaking connections.
b. Priming Heater.
(1) Hang filled fuel can on hook on left side of heater.
(2) Remove the fuel can filler cap and install siphon assembly by inserting small tube into siphon tube and
siphon barrel into fuel can. Fit cap into fuel can opening.
(3) Move siphon assembly up and down rapidly, 4 to 6 strokes. Strokes should be 4 inches to 6 inches long.
Siphon is now primed.
Be sure that an operable fire extinguisher is available in the operating perimeter before
starting the heater.
c. Lighting Heater.
(1) To start oil flow, raise RESET LEVER on fuel control valve (fig. 2-4).
On models 441-4ABJ and 444-4A press RESET LEVER down.
(2) Turn CONTROL KNOB to high.
(3) Open burner door and observe that oil has entered burner well. Reset CONTROL KNOB to LOW position
(On Models 441-4AB and 444-4A, reset CONTROL KNOB to FIRST MARK POSITION). Reprime if oil does not come
into burner within two minutes.
(4) Crumble a small piece of paper, light and drop into burner bottom. The kindler will light.
(5) Close and latch burner door. Watch flame through door peek hole. Allow burner to operate 15 minutes
before regulating flame.