(3) Third. Identify the item on the figure and note the item number.
(4) Fourth. Refer to the Repair Parts List for the figure to find the part number for the
item number noted on the figure.
(5) Fifth. Refer to the Part Number Index to find the NSN, if assigned.
b. When National Stock Number or Part Number is Known:
(1) First. Using the Index of National Stock Numbers and Part Numbers, find the pertinent
National Stock Number or Part Number. The NSN index is in National Item Identification
Number (NIIN) sequence (see c-4a,(1)), The part numbers in the Part Number index are
listed in ascending alphanumeric sequence (see c-4.b). Both indexes
crossreference you to the illustration figure and item number of the item you are Iooking for
(2) Second. After finding the figure and item number, verify that the item is the one
you are looking for, then locate the item number in the repair parts list for the figure.
7. Abbreviations. Abbreviations used in this manual are listed in MlL-STD12