2-6. ASSEMBLY AND PREPARATION FOR USE - Continued.
e. Fueling Unit. (Refer to Figure 2-5).
The following procedures contain instructions for initial fueling of the heater.
Do not smoke or use an open flame in the vicinity of the heater while servicing the fuel tank.
Failure to comply may result in injury to personnel.
(1) Ensure that MODE SELECTOR switch S1 (2) is set to OFF.
(2) Remove fuel tank cap (1).
(3) Provide metal-to-metal contact between fuel tank and fuel dispenser to avoid possibility of sparks igniting the
fuel. A grounding cable, bonding strap, or equivalent may be used.
If diesel fuel is not available, JP-4 turbine fuel conforming to specification MIL-T-5624 may be
used as an acceptable alternative. However, greater heating efficiency will be obtained using one
of the diesel fuels recommended in step (4).
(4) Fill fuel tank with 26 gallons of diesel fuel conforming to Federal Specification VV-F-800 of the following class
depending upon ambient temperature.
Plus 20°F to minus 25°F
Below minus 25°F
Plus 70° to -650F (Alternate)
(5) Wipe any excess or spilled fuel from heater fuel tank cap (1).