Failure to follow these safety precautions could result in serious injury or death to personnel and/or property damage.
Refer to FM 21-11 for first aid information.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas, and if inhaled can be lethal. Never
operate a Heater without venting the exhaust out of the test area or vehicle. The
Heater consumes oxygen and produces carbon monoxide gas which is vented
through the exhaust. Adequate exhaust ducting must be provided to avoid carbon
monoxide leakage and poisoning of personnel.
Should the Heater not start within three (3) consecutive attempts, refer to the
Troubleshooting guide in Section 6 of this manual. DO NOT try to start a flooded
Heater and DO NOT use starting aids such as ether to assist in heater start-up, or a
fire hazard may occur resulting in possible injury or death to personnel.
DO NOT place combustible materials within three (3) feet of the Heater exhaust.
DO NOT smoke or allow open flame nearby while conducting maintenance work on
the Heater as diesel fuel and its fumes can be explosive.
If the Heater has been running recently, the Igniter, the Exhaust Port, and the Heat
Exchanger are hot enough to burn unprotected skin.
Hearing can be PERMANENTLY DAMAGED if exposed to constant high noise
levels of 85dBA or greater. Wear approved hearing protection devices when
working within two (2) feet of the heater inlet. Personnel exposed to high noise
levels shall participate in a hearing conservation program in accordance with DA
PAM 40-501. Hearing loss occurs gradually but becomes permanent over time.
After disconnecting electrical power from the Heater and detaching the MS Power
Connector, the Pins A and D of the Heater's male connector remain electrically live
with 24 VDC. This condition remains for approximately five (5) minutes while a
capacitor discharges. Personnel should avoid touching the contacts of this
connector as electrical shock may occur.
Remove rings, bracelets, wristwatches, and neck chains before performing
maintenance on the Heater. Jewelry can catch on equipment and cause injury or
may short across an electrical circuit and cause severe burns or electrical shock.