TM 9-4520-257-12&P 0005 00
Carbon monoxide gas is not visible and has no smell, but it can kill you.
Breathing air with carbon monoxide can cause headaches, dizziness,
loss of muscle control, a sleepy feeling, and coma. Brain damage or
death can result from heavy exposure.
Carbon monoxide occurs when exhaust fumes from fuel-burning
equipment, such as the H-45 heater, escape from defective or damaged
stack pipes inside the tent. Carbon monoxide can reach dangerous
concentrations under conditions of no air movement. Precautions must
be followed to ensure crew safety when you operate this equipment.
Inspect and replace any damaged or defective stack pipes that allow
fumes to escape into the tent.
OPEN the tent vents to provide ventilation and prevent the accumulation
of carbon monoxide gas.
BE ALERT at all times during heater operation for exposure symptoms.
IMMEDIATELY VENTILATE the tent. If symptoms persist, move
affected crew to fresh air and keep warm.
DO NOT PERMIT PHYSICAL EXERCISE. If necessary, give artificial
FOR ARTIFICIAL RESPIRATION REFER TO FM 21-11.
THE BEST DEFENSE AGAINST CARBON MONOXIDE POISONING IS
REPLACEMENT OF DAMAGED OR DEFECTIVE STACK SECTIONS
AND GOOD VENTILATION.