TM 9-4520-257-12&P 0005 00
Starting the H-45 Type II (Liquid Fuel) Heater when the fuel type IS known.
1. Open both base heater doors (1,2).
2. Set the fuel selector control knob (6) to the proper position for the ambient temperature and the fuel
being used as described in WP 0004 00, Table 2. Once the temperature and fuel are determined, lift
the fuel selector control knob (6), and turn the entire control assembly until the fuel selector control
knob (6) engages in the detent. Release the fuel selector control knob (6).
3. Turn the fuel OFF/ON control (7) on the fuel flow control valve (8) to the ON position.
The flow adjustment knob (9) on top of the fuel flow control valve
increases the fuel flow when turned clockwise and decreases the fuel
flow when turned counterclockwise.
4. Turn the flow adjustment knob (9) to the HI position. Wait 5 to 10 minutes for the flow control burner
hose (11) and burner uptube (10) to fill with fuel. Shake and tap the hoses (11,15) to free any air that
may be trapped in the hoses. Turn the flow adjustment knob (9) back to setting 3.
5. Using the 4-ounce cup (12) attached to the retaining wire (13), open the priming valve T-connector
(14) on the fuel supply hose (15), and carefully fill the cup with fuel. Remove the lid assembly (18),
and pour one 4-ounce cup of fuel into the bottom of the burner shell assembly (16) through the lid
When operating with diesel fuel or JP8 in very cold temperatures, if
problems are experienced getting the heater to light or to continue
burning, it may be necessary to repeat step 5. Make sure the flame is
out completely and the heater is cool before adding additional fuel.
NEVER add additional fuel when the burner is lit or hot. This procedure
should NOT be used with gasoline or JP4.
6. Roll a piece of tissue paper, or similar material, into a ball approximately 2 inches in diameter. Use
the paper to wipe the cup (12) to remove any remaining fuel. Do not discard the paper. It will be
used when lighting the heater as follows: