Cleaning solvents are flammable and toxic to eye, skin, and respiratory
tract. Skin and eye protections are required when working in contact with
cleaning solvents. Avoid repeated or prolonged contact. Work in well
ventilated area only. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Do not
smoke while using cleaning solvent. Failure to observe this warning can
result in injury or death to personnel.
1. Clean crankcase cover with cleaning solvent and a clean rag. Allow to air dry.
2. Remove any old gasket material or grease from crankcase cover and engine crankcase mating
1. Inspect crankcase cover (1) for cracks, deformation, or obvious damage. Inspect cover mating
surfaces for scratches, burrs, or blemishes. Replace cover if damaged.
2. Inspect cover gasket (3) for damage or deformation. Replace if damaged in any way.
1. If removed, install threaded plug (7), pipe (5), and two guide pins (6) into crankcase cover (1).
2. Apply grease to lips of crankshaft oil seal (housed in crankcase cover (1)).
3. Apply oil to crankshaft and camshaft. Make sure that oil pump drive gears are properly engaged.
4. Mate cover gasket (3) to cylinder block.
It will be easier to install the crankcase cover by lightly pushing down on the cover while
slowly rotating the flywheel.
5. Mate crankcase cover (1) to cylinder block and secure using fifteen screws (2). Make sure to attach
lifting cable (4) at position noted during removal. Tighten screws in criss-cross sequence as shown in
accompanying illustration. Torque all screws to 14.5 to 16.6 ft-lbs. (200 to 230 kg-cm).