4-6. ORGANIZATIONAL MAINTENANCE TROUBLESHOOTING - Continued
Table 4-2. Organizational Troubleshooting
TEST OR INSPECTION
IMMERSION HEATER ASSEMBLY
1. HEATER FLAME IS NOT STEADY.
Step 1. Check for water in the fuel tank
Turn off the heater. Remove the fuel tank from the heater by lifting if off the square stud on the heater
Open the fuel tank vent plug and remove the filler plug and drain the fuel tank observing for the presence
of water in the tank (Figure 4-1).
Reinstall fuel tank as follows:
(1) Refill the fuel tank, through the filler plug, with gasoline after dosing vent plug.
(2) Close the filler plug.
(3) Reinstall the fuel tank on the square stud on the heater mounting bracket.
Start the heater and check for a steady flame.
Step 2. Check for water in the combustion chamber.
Turn off the heater.
Remove the smokestack from the immersion heater collar.
Remove the burner from inside the heater body.
Using a flashlight, look down the flue compartment into the combustion chamber to see if any water is
present in the combustion chamber.
Clear water from the combustion chamber.
(1) Remove fuel tank from heater.
(2) Turn two locking screws on mounting counterclockwise until the clamp is loose.
(3) Lift out the heater.
(4) Turn the heater upside down so that any accumulation of fuel or water in the combustion chamber
can drain out.