1. Inspect cylinder head (1) for cracks and deformation. Replace cylinder head if damaged or deformed
in any manner
2. Inspect stems of valves (15, 16) for wear or distortion. Measure the outside diameter (OD) of the
stems as shown. OD shall be 0.2323 inch (5.90 mm), minimum. Replace valve if stem is out of limits.
3. Measure the internal diameter (ID) of the valve guides (installed in cylinder head). ID shall be 0.2394
inch (6.08 mm), maximum. Replace cylinder head (1) if valve guide ID is out of limits.
4. Inspect valve springs (12) for cracks, broken sections, or deformation. Replace spring if damaged or
deformed in any way.
5. Measure free length (non-compressed) of valve springs as shown. Length must be 1.240 inch (31.5
mm), minimum. Replace valve spring if less than required length.
6. Insert valves (15, 16) into cylinder head (1). Measure valve sinkage as shown. Sinkage shall be 0.043
inch (1.1 mm), maximum. If sinkage exceeds limit, discard valves.