FIELD (DIRECT) SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
LARGE CAPACITY FIELD HEATER (LCFH)
REMOVE, SERVICE, INSPECT, INSTALL
Tool Kit, General Mechanics (Item 2, WP 0092)
MOS 63J or 52C
Heater shut down and cool.
Engine bay access door open.
Main battery switch OFF and handle removed.
Engine maintenance requires metric tools for the removal of all hardware and
1. Remove muffler assembly from engine.
2. Release cylinder head (1) from studs (6) by removing nuts (2, 3) and washers (4, 5). Carefully
remove cylinder head from studs and place on a clean work surface.
3. Remove and discard O-ring (7) and cylinder head gasket (8).
4. Slide exhaust valve (16) and inlet valve (15) out of cylinder head (1).
5. Remove valve cap (9) and cotter assembly (10) from inlet valve (15).
Valve springs are under high pressure. Be sure to wear eye protection
while working with valve springs. Use caution and remove spring retainers
slowly. Failure to observe this warning can cause serious injury to
6. Compress spring (12) using compression tool and carefully remove spring retainer (11). Slowly
release hold on compression tool to release spring tension. Remove spring.
7. Remove valve stem seal (13) and washer (14) from inlet valve.
8. Repeat steps 4 through 6 for exhaust valve (16).