Cleaning solvents are flammable and toxic to eye, skin, and respiratory
tract. Skin and eye protections are required when working in contact with
cleaning solvents. Avoid repeated or prolonged contact. Work in well
ventilated area only. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Do not
smoke while using cleaning solvent. Failure to observe this warning can
result in injury or death to personnel.
Clean components with cleaning solvent and a clean rag. Allow to air dry.
1. Inspect flywheel (10) for cracks, deformation, or obvious damage. Inspect for broken, chipped, or
cracked flywheel fins. Replace flywheel if damaged.
2. Inspect flywheel housing seal (6) for deterioration or permanent set. Replace if damaged or
3. Inspect crankshaft (5) for cracks, deformation, or obvious damage. Replace crankshaft if cracked or
4. Inspect gears (7, 8) for broken, chipped, or worn teeth. Replace gears and crankshaft (5) as an
assembly if a gear is damaged or worn.
5. Measure the outside diameter (OD) of crankshaft crank pin. OD must be 1.4134 inches (35.90 mm),
minimum. Replace crankshaft assembly if out of limits.
6. Measure the OD of crankshaft where crankshaft mates to crankcase cover plain bearing. OD must be
1.3744 inches (34.91 mm), minimum. Replace crankshaft assembly if out of limits.
7. Measure the OD of crankshaft where it mates to flywheel side ball bearing. OD must be 1.3782
inches (35.01 mm), minimum. Replace crankshaft assembly if out of limits.
8. Bearing (6) is press fit onto crankshaft (5). Check bearing for looseness. Replace crankshaft
assembly if bearing is loose.
9. Inspect bearing (4) for discoloration, separation, or any other obvious damage. Remove and replace
bearing if damaged in any way.