SPECIFIC REPAIR INSTRUCTIONS
Section I. FUEL PUMP
(10) Remove end plug (l), washer (2),
spring seat (9), and spring (4) from
Fuel is drawn from the fuel tank by the
fuel pump. The pump is driven by the V-belt
(11) Remove end cap nut (37) and gasket
and is operating continuously whenever the
(38) from adjusting screw end plug
power unit is operating.
(1) and remove adjusting screw (39).
(12) Remove nozzle end plug (23), piston
155. Fuel Pump
sleeve washer (22) and gasket (24)
from pump body.
(13) Press the piston (5) and piston sleeve
(21) from pump body. Remove and
discard packing (26).
(14) Remove pipe plug (6).
securing pump cover (34) to fuel
c. Cleaning, Inspection, and Repair.
pump body (7) and removal pump
(1) Clean all parts with approved clean-
cover, gasket (33), and strainer (31).
ing solvent and dry thoroughly.
(2) Remove five screws (32) and remove
(2) Inspect piston seat on adjusting screw
end plate (30). Remove assembled
end plug and piston to determine
rotor housing (40), rotor (36), roller
whether valve will seat properly. Re-
(26). and drive key (27).
place both paints if seat is scratched
(3) Remove drive key, roller, and rotor
from rotor housing.
(3) Inspect roller and rotor for chipped,
(4) Remove crescent (28) and two pins
cracked, worn, or broken teeth. Re-
(29) from end plate (30).
place damaged parts.
(5) Remove port housing (41) and gaskets
(4) Insert piston in piston sleeve and
(42 and 43).
(6) Remove three screws (16) and lock-
move in and out to check for binding.
washers (17) securing bearing retain-
Dress piston with crocus cloth if nec-
essary to relieve binding.
er to pump body and remove bearing
d. Assembly and Installation.
retainer. Remove ball bearing (19)
(1) Install pipe plug (6, fig. 50) in pump
and two pins (18) from retainer.
(7) Pull the drive shaft (8) from pump
(2) Install gasket (2) and adjusting. screw
body. Remove seal (14) from drive
end plug (1) in the pump body
shaft and packing (20) from seal. Dis-
(3) Install new packing (26) on piston
(8) Remove seal housing (13) and pack-
sleeve (21), coat the piston sleeve
ing (12) from drive shaft.
with oil, and insert piston sleeve in
(9) Remove spring washer (11) and
pump body until sleeve contacts ad-
justing screw end plug.
spring (10) from seal housing.