to the heater and remove the channels from the
the heater suitable for working
(23) Slide the combustion chamber assembly
the skid base.
carefully from the heater.
( 2 4 ) Remove the screws securing the chamber
the safety trip valve assembly
diagonal braces to the chamber and remove the
b. Inspection. Check for corrosion, cracks,
breaks, and wear.
c. Installation. Reverse the procedure in
a. a b o v e .
(5) Open the burner access door.
(6) Remove the nuts (3, fig. 5-3), the flat-
( 1 3 ) holding the burner access door assembly hinge
to the heater.
11 a, sub-paragraph 1, 2 and 3.
(7) Remove the burner access door assembly
(7) from the heater.
( 2 ) Remove the screws from each of the two
(8) Remove the screws (5) from the cabinet
chamber cleanout covers (19, fig. 5-7), and take off
cover escutcheon ring (4) and take off the ring.
(9) Remove the bolts, the nuts, and the
(3) Take out the two cover gaskets (18).
b. Inspection and Repair. Check for any dents,
washer from each end of the air duct supporting
holes, breaks, and cracks. Straighten the dents and
weld breaks and cracks.
( 1 0 ) Disconnect the return spring (5, fig. 5-6)
from the damper lever arm (4) and remove the
c. Installation. Reverse the
a. a b o v e , u s i n g n e w g a s k e t s .
(11) Remove the nuts, the lockwasher, and
Discharge Opening Dampers, Shaft
the bolt holding the damper pull rod (3) to the
With Handle, and Springs
damper lever arm (4).
(12) Remove the rod by pulling it through
( 1 ) Remove the jamnut and the nut from each
from the outside of the heater.
o f the two screws on the handle end of the upper
(1) from the heater.
the f l e x i b l e e x h a u s t t u b e
A S the damper opening shaft with handle is
pulled out, a spacer washer and a coil spring will
(15) Remove the flexible exhaust tube from
fall from the handle.
the elbow at the combustion chamber.
(2) Remove the upper damper from the
(16) Remove the chamber mounting bolts
(25, fig. 5 - 2 ) . l o c k w a s h e r s , a n d p l a i n w a s h e r s .
(3) Remove the lower champer in the same
(17) Remove the screws (24) and the lock-
washers holding the combustion chamber support
b. Inspection and Repair.
channel braces to the heater to free the braces.
(1) I n s p e c t t h e d a m p e r s f o r p r o p e r o p e r a t i o n .
(18) Remove the screws holding the chamber
(2) Check the springs for adequate tension
diagonal brace to the combustion chamber support
and broken coils.
c h a n n e l . There is a diagonal brace on each side of
(3) Straighten any dents and weld all cracks
Support t h e c o m b u s t i o n c h a m b e r
c. Installation. R e v e r s e t h e p r o c e d u r e i n
assembly to prevent it from dropping out of the
a. a b o v e .
(20) Remove the screws and the washers
5-20.Flexible 6-Inch and 12-Inch
securing the chamber diagonal braces to the front
of the heater.
a . Removal, Inspection, and Installation. R e f e r
(21) Remove the nuts holding the vertical
baffles to each side of the combustion chamber
b. Repair. Make minor repairs to the canvas
exhaust ducts and remove the baffles.
ducts and hand sew patches over the damaged