FIELD (UNIT) MAINTENANCE
LARGE CAPACITY FIELD HEATER
SHEET SOUND INSTALLATION
Tool Kit, General Mechanics (Item 1, WP 0092
MOS 63J or 52C
Main battery switch OFF and handle removed.
Sound insulation is installed on the divider bulkhead, fan bulkhead, engine bay door,
engine access cover, and selected locations of the fuel/burner end wall. These locations
have a combination of foam insulation bonded to a 1/8 inch sound dampening
material. The fan housing, heat exchanger sidewalls, top cover, and operator control box
tray have only the 1/8 inch dampening material applied.
Inspect all sound insulation for tears, cracks, delamination, or other damage that would prevent the sound
insulation from adequate restricting sound levels in the operating environment. Replace any damaged
All sound insulation sections are pre-cut to size. Foam insulation is 1 or 2 inches thick
depending on location.
1. To replace a section of damaged 1/8 inch sound dampening insulation (1), pry the corner up using a
putty knife or similar tool.
2. Set the heat gun to midrange and begin to heat the adhesive that bonds the insulation (1) to the
cabinet wall (2), prying the insulation from the cabinet wall.
3. Continue until the damaged section of sound insulation is removed.
4. Clean the adhesive residue from the cabinet wall with a rag dampened with solvent.
5. If required for that section, install a new, pre-cut section of 1/8 inch sound dampening insulation by
removing the paper backing, exposing the pressure sensitive adhesive backing.