FIELD (UNIT) MAINTENANCE
LARGE CAPACITY FIELD HEATER
Tool Kit, General Mechanics (Item 2, WP 0092
MOS 63J or 52C
Adapter, 1/2 in Socket to 1/4 in Hex Key (Item
Retaining Compound Cleaner (Item 13, WP
Main Battery Power Switch in the OFF position
and handle removed
Retaining Compound Primer (Item 14, WP 0119
1. Open the engine bay access door to gain access to the coupling assembly.
Set screws that secure coupling assembly are torqued to 22 ft-lbs and may require an aid
to improve torque and assist in removal.
2. Completely remove the hex cap screw (1) of the left hand portion (2) of the coupling assembly (3)
located on the inlet fan shaft (4).
3. Completely remove the hex cap screw (5) on the right portion (6) of the coupling assembly (3) located
on the engine drive shaft (7).
4. Insert flat screwdrivers (10) into the slot (11) on each portion (2 and 6) of the coupling assembly to
assist in releasing the grip on the fan and engine shafts. Tap screwdriver into slot with a hammer.
Take care not to damage the ridge (12) on the left and right portions of the coupling assembly.
5. Tap the left hand portion (2) and right hand portion (6) of the flexible coupling assembly to break the
bond between the sealant that has been applied between the coupling assembly hubs and their
6. Remove the center rubber section (8) of the coupling assembly. Since there is minimum clearance
between the ends of the two shafts and it will require rotating the rubber portion down so that the
edge fits between the ends of the shafts in order to remove.