FIELD (UNIT) MAINTENANCE
LARGE CAPACITY FIELD HEATER (LCFH)
ROCKER ARM ASSEMBLY
REMOVE, ADJUST, INSTALL
Tool Kit, General Mechanic's Automotive (Item 2,
MOS 63J or 52C
Heater shut down and engine cool
Main battery switch to OFF and handle removed
Engine maintenance requires metric tools for the removal of all hardware and
HEAD COVER REMOVAL
Remove head cover (1) from cylinder head (2) by removing bolts (3). Remove cover gasket (4) only if
replacement is required.
VALVE CLEARANCE ADJUSTMENT
2. Rotate flywheel in the clockwise direction until T mark (5) on flywheel matches V mark (6) on cylinder
body fin. This is the top dead center (TDC) position. Intake and exhaust valves will be in closed
3. Using a gap setting gauge (7), check rocker arm (8) to valve (9) clearance. Clearance shall be 0.004
to 0.008 inch (0.10 to 0.20 mm). The amount of drag on the gap setting gauge when passing through
the gap shall be minimal.
4. If adjustment is required, loosen lock nut (10) and rotate adjusting screw (11) clockwise/counter-
clockwise to expand/reduce gap. Tighten lock nut (10) and recheck clearance.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 until proper clearance is attained.
6. Install head cover (1) onto cylinder head (2) using bolts (3).