Cleaning solvents are flammable and toxic to eye, skin, and respiratory
tract. Skin and eye protections are required when working in contact with
cleaning solvents. Avoid repeated or prolonged contact. Work in well
ventilated area only. Keep away from heat, sparks, and open flame. Do not
smoke while using cleaning solvent. Failure to observe this warning can
result in injury or death to personnel.
1. Clean components with cleaning solvent and a clean rag. Allow to air dry.
1. Inspect crankcase cover (1) for cracks, deformation, or obvious damage. Inspect mating surfaces for
scratches, burrs, or blemishes. Replace cover if damaged.
2. Inspect cover gasket (3) for damage or deformation. Replace if damaged in any way.
3. Inspect gear (5) for broken, chipped, or worn teeth. Replace gear and camshaft (10) as an assembly
if gear is damaged or worn.
4. Inspect outer surfaces of tappets (6, 7) for wear or damage. Check condition of tappet contact point.
Measure the outside diameter (OD) of tappet stems. OD must be 0.2705 inch (6.87 mm), minimum.
Replace tappet if damaged, worn, or out of limits.
5. Measure the OD of camshaft (10) where it mates to crankcase cover bearing (4). OD must be 1.1772
inches (29.90 mm), minimum. Replace camshaft (10) and gear (5) if out of limits.
6. Measure the OD of camshaft (10) on opposite end (where it mates to cylinder block needle bearing).
OD must be 0.5874 inch (14.92 mm), minimum. Replace camshaft (10) and gear (5) if out of limits.
7. Measure the internal diameter (ID) of bearing (4). ID must be 1.1808 inches (29.993 mm), maximum.
Replace bearing if out of limits.
1. Lay engine on side and push lifter out of the way. Return engine to upright position.
2. Carefully insert assembled camshaft (10) and gear (5) into cylinder block. Align match-marks (15) on
camshaft gear with those on crankshaft gear, then press camshaft (10) into crankcase needle
3. Insert tappets (8, 9) into cylinder block.
4. Install push rods (8, 9) removed earlier.
5. Install rocker arm assembly set aside earlier by installing two bolts (13) retaining rocker arm support
6. Install valve cover (11) by installing three bolts (12).