SUSTAINMENT (GENERAL) SUPPORT MAINTENANCE
LARGE CAPACITY FIELD HEATER (LCFH)
PISTON AND CONNECTING ROD
REMOVE, CLEAN, INSPECT, INSTALL
Tool Kit, General Mechanics (Item 2, WP 0092
MOS 63J or 52C
Heater shut down and cool.
Engine bay access door open.
Main battery switch OFF and handle removed.
Engine maintenance requires metric tools for the removal of all hardware and
1. Remove connecting rod nuts (1) and washers (2) from rod bolts (3, 4).
2. Remove connecting rod cap (5) and lower bearing half (6) from crankshaft journal. Remove pins (7)
only if replacement is required.
3. Rotate crankshaft to the top of its stroke so that piston (8) rises out of cylinder block. Remove
assembled piston (8) and connecting rod (9) from crankcase. Remove upper bearing half (10).
Use extreme caution when handling hot components. Wear protective
gloves. Failure to observe this warning can result in injury to personnel.
4. Remove two circlips (11) from piston pin (12). Discard circlips. To remove piston pin from piston (8),
heat components to 158 to 176 F (70 to 80 C). Drive pin from piston and connecting rod (9).
5. Remove piston rings (13) from piston (8). Discard rings.
6. Remove rod bolts (3, 4) from connecting rod (9).